Everyone has headaches. It’s an ordinary part of life. But some people, they can be frequent and debilitating. According to the Migraine Research Foundation, more than 38 million Americans are impacted by migraines each year, and roughly 4 million deal with chronic daily migraine pain. At Collins Dental & Aesthetic, we assist patients with Botox for migraine pain and with multiple treatment options for migraine caused by temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJD.) Here are some migraine facts you may not know.
1. There are many different types and causes of headaches, but all headaches are migraines, and follow a distinct pattern of nerve signals to the brain.
2. Migraine is the 3rd most prevalent illness in the world.
3. Migraines are most common between the ages of 22-55.
4. Chronic migraine has been rated as the 8th most disabling illness in the world.
5. Every 10 seconds, someone checks into a US emergency room due to migraine.
6. More than 90% of migraine sufferers are unable to function normally during a migraine.
7. About 25% of migraine sufferers experience a visual disturbance called “aura” that disrupts their vision as much as 1 hour.
8. The cycle of a migraine attack can last between 4 to 72 hours.
9. Women typically suffer from migraine more frequently and more severely than men. This is thought to do with changes in estrogen levels.
10. Healthcare and lost productivity due to migraine costs the US roughly $36 billion every year.
If you or someone you know has been suffering from migraine, relief may be possible. The first step is to schedule an appointment to determine the probable cause of the headaches. The diagnostic process may involve getting a CT scan of your face and sinuses, x-rays of your head and neck, and dental x-rays.
In the event that you or your loved one is experiencing migraine due to temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD), Drs. Ken and Marnie Collins can create a custom orthotic or fit you with braces to adjust the set of the jaw to eliminate pain caused by improper alignment of the TMJ. For other sufferers, Botox for migraine has been delivering excellent results. To schedule a consultation, contact our office at 509-368-7788.
Or office in Spokane is located at:
3151 E. 28th Ave.
Spokane, WA 99223
Office phone # 509-368-7788